Sunday, November 18, 2012

Antonello's Garden and the Olives



Antonello, family, and friends.

The first time I saw an olive tree, or at least noticed one, was here in Positano on our honeymoon ten years ago.  We were hiking and they were everywhere.  It was clear the olive was a staple.  I never imagined ten years later I'd be back helping to pick them, but last Saturday we found ourselves in Antonello's garden under the olive trees. Antonello is someone we met while hiking up in Montepertuso a couple of months ago.  There is something very endearing about him.  I think it's the warm smile, his friendly nature, and the way he seems passionate about his garden.  I had bumped into him in town earlier that week and he had told me they were harvesting the olives this weekend and we should join them.  We took him up on it and so on Saturday found him out there with family and friends picking the last of the olive crop.

Il Bucco

Montepertuso through the olive trees.

It was one of those blue sky days here and still warm enough for just a t-shirt.  I kept looking up at Il Bucco or looking down at the sun sparkling on the sea and pulling out my camera.  Steve wanted to know if I was ever going to help pick some olives.  I did. We did!  They were pruning the trees at this late date and our job was picking the last of the olives off of the cut branches.  We usually get only ten minutes of yard work out of the girls these days.  Their infatuation with raking leaves has long died out.  This day though they showed some stamina.  We filled one big white bucket with olives that we were tempted to write "Gustavino" across.  Everyone had their job.  Samantha's was moving the empty branches over into a big pile.  She took it very seriously and no one else was allowed to do that task.  We think she might be a member of a union.  Ella picked and picked.  I'm sure the job loses some of its magic when you are doing it day after day with the pressures of getting the job done, but for us tourists the magic was still there.  It was a sweet afternoon.  

At the end of the day, Antonello gave us a ride back into town.  It turns out he lives a few buildings down the road from us!  I had thought he lived in Montepertuso, but that is only where his garden sits.  That night when Samantha was having her standard "heavenly bread" dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I told her "you helped make some of that today".   "This?" she asked with a smile.  "Mmmmm".

Antonello's wife and daughter (somehow they missed the earlier picture)



I love this picture of Antonello's mom and Samantha



Union labor




A machine used to filter out leaves and twigs from the olives

3 comments:

  1. Had I not been on a cruise ship at the time, I would have brought back a carton of olives and those lemons as large as a human head! Wonderful!!

    Unforunately, no food items were allowed back on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this was the most recent post or I would have added that I just got caught up on all of your wonderful posts. What a fantastic opportunity! It shows great courage to pick up move to another country for an extended period of time and great faith in your family and each other. You have done what most of us only dream of doing. Congratulations!

    If I ever have the opportunity to do the same, Positano is exactly where I would go. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and even as a tourist, the locals were so warm and inviting. I imagine in a week you are like family to them.

    What a really great adventure for all of you! Thanks for taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gina! I hope you do get to come back here and stay for a while. I think it has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's been a great experience for our family. Sometimes, back at home, with work and activities it seemed like we barely saw each other (at least Steve and I). We've had a lot of "family time" and it's been a good thing.

    We sat down at a cafe on the beach this afternoon. It was mid 60s, the sun was shining, the kids met some friends and were playing out along the strip in front of the restaurants. It is going to be tough going home!!

    ReplyDelete